Wednesday, December 19, 2007

DRM-free iTunes

A brief comment related to the last class discussion about DRM, iTunes, and EMI: so I finally gave into iTunes' insistent demands that I upgrade to version 7.5, and now it promises me access to iTunes Plus (which I did not know even existed) at the new, lower price of 99 cents (as compared to the previous price of $1.29 for the DRM-free EMI tracks they used to offer). These iTunes Plus tracks are supposedly DRM-free and higher quality.

It looks like they offered you the option to upgrade your non-plus tracks to Plus for 30 cents each, back when iTunes Plus cost $1.29, and now that it all costs the same, you have the same option to upgrade... yes, still for 30 cents a track. A minor inconvenience in the larger scheme of things, true, but my American Gamelan Chorus tracks are not yet so precious to me that I'm planning to pay up. That whole "but I already paid you the current market price for this!" mentality at work. Still, after reading Bardia's post below, I guess I should be chipper about the whole thing.

No comments: